Trumpet Player, Arranger, Music Producer
Based in Los Angeles
Jon Manness is a trumpet player, arranger, film composer, music producer, and band leader in Los Angeles. He has toured North and South America with Latin pop artists Gloria Trevi and Alejandra Guzmán, written and licensed music for Sundance-selected THE MORTIFIED GUIDE and numerous cable TV shows, produced horn arrangements for Splice and Magic Mike Live, and leads a Radiohead-meets-Jazz group called the RHJ Project.
In addition to performing and recording, Jon has taught film scoring and composition courses at West Chester University of Pennsylvania and California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA). He also visits music programs around the country as a conductor and clinician, including Cal Poly, Caltech, and the Primavera Fund in Philadelphia, PA. Visit Jon’s YouTube channel to find helpful music production guides and music-related content.
Currently, Jon is recording and producing music out of his brand-new RED LINE RECORDING STUDIO in Monrovia, CA. Visit his Instagram @jonmanness to find out more about his latest projects and performances, or go on Spotify to hear music that Jon has recorded on.
Featured Trumpet Projects
Recording Gear (available for remote sessions):
- Universal Audio Apollo x6 Audio Interface, recording into LUNA or Logic Pro
- Microphones: EV RE20, Monheim Créme, Townsend Sphere L22, Shure SM7b, and AKG C414 XLS
- Stomvi VRII Trumpet & Elite Copper Flugelhorn (Jon is a Stomvi-USA artist), vintage Conn trumpet and cornet, as well as tenor sax and valve trombone for horn section recordings
- Jon records at Red Line Recording Studio, a 250 square feet, acoustically treated studio with an ISO booth, designed by Andrew Monheim of Monheim Microphones
Featured Music for Film & Media
- Music for Avatar Blu-ray feature The Night Before Avatar
- Additional Music for The Mortified Guide (2017 Sundance Film Festival Selection)
- Scored over a dozen independent films and licensed music for network and cable TV
- Masters Degree in Composition with a Concentration in Scoring for Film and Multimedia from New York University (NYU)
Arranging & Composing for Splice, Live Ensembles, and MIDI Orchestras
Synths & Sound Design
- Moog: Matriarch, Subharmonicon, Werkstatt-01
- Make Noise: Strega
- Behringer: Poly D, K-2, TD-3
- Roland: TR-8S
- Korg: Nautilus Workstation
On Camera: Music Videos
Contact Jon below to appear in music videos, commercials, and other media as a background or sideline musician.